Emulsions are everywhere in the kitchen as they are in real life. Exploring their role in the culinary world is an opportunity to build familiarity with the fundamentals of how fat and water loving molecules interact. Understanding the basics of molecular structure in turn, is helpful if you want to make the best mayonaise and chocolate treats.
The Big Idea: To demonstrate understanding of an emulsion by identifying examples, providing a description of how the immiscible substances were mixed, and by creating emulsions successfully.
- identify and define a solution
- identify and define an emulsion and provide examples
- understand how emulsions are made
- expand their ability to make a variety of emulsions
- engage with the scientific process
- make and share observations, predictions, conclusions